Famous last words! Important last words! Jesus was gathered with His disciples during what He knew would be their last gathering before He fulfilled the purpose of His Father and faced the Cross. These very familiar words are part of what is known as the Farewell Discourse, when Jesus gathered in the Upper Room to celebrate His last Passover with His disciples and prepare them for what He knew was ahead of them. Jesus was facing the Cross, and He needed to prepare these men who had walked with Him for over three years for the dark days that lay ahead.
Let’s break down what He said.
- I AM – This is one of the seven I AM statements of Jesus, probably the best known of the seven. In the Greek language, “I AM” is a very intense way of referring to oneself. In Exodus 3:14, God used the same intensive form (in Hebrew), “God said to Moses, ‘I am who I am.’ And he said, ‘Say this to the people of Israel: ‘I am has sent me to you.’ ” When the Jews heard these words, they understood Jesus was claiming to be God.
- THE – By the use of the definite article “the,” Jesus was saying HE AND NO OTHER.
- THE WAY – The ONLY WAY! Not one way of many. The only path leading to the Father and His eternal heavenly kingdom.
- THE TRUTH – Again, the ONLY SOURCE OF TRUTH. ETERNAL, UNCHANGING AND LIFE-CHANGING TRUTH.
- THE LIFE – The true SOURCE OF LIFE. Both A MEANINGFUL LIFE ON EARTH AND ETERNAL LIFE.
In a pluralistic society like ancient Rome, and in our own society today, these were not easily accepted words. Other religions are not the way. Good works are not the way. Jesus was saying He and He alone is the way, the truth, and the life.
Father, today I’m grateful that Your Word so clearly teaches there is only one way to a relationship with You, and it is through faith in Your Son Jesus Christ and the work He accomplished on the Cross. Thank You for showing me this truth many years ago and bringing me into Your Kingdom. Thank You also for the truth in Your Word, both in written form and in the Incarnate Word, Jesus Christ. And thank You for the confidence that when this life is over I will go to be in Your presence forever.